2014 Georgia Senate debates
(Click for external website)
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from 2014 GA Senate debate (number of quotes indicated):
- David Perdue (3) Republican challenger Georgia
- Jack Kingston (1) Republican Challenger Georgia
- Karen Handel (7) Republican Challenger Georgia
- Michelle Nunn (6) Democratic Challenger Georgia
- Paul Broun (3) Republican Challenger Georgia
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
Georgia Senate debates and race coverage: (May 20 Republican primary)
- The Hill weblog, "Ga. Dem goes on attack in Senate race," by Cameron Joseph, Aug. 12, 2014
- Augusta Chronicle, "Democratic Senate hopefuls pledge to keep MOX open", by Meg Kinnard (Associated Press), May 29, 2014
- The Hill e-zine, "Ga. Dem dodges on ObamaCare views", by Cameron Joseph, May 19, 2014
- Atlanta Journal-Constitution, "Senate candidates won't back Mitch McConnell", by Daniel Malloy, May 17, 2014
- Politico.com, "GOP war revived in Georgia", by Manu Raju, May 16, 2014
- The Hill e-zine, "Gingrey: Handel 'promoted teenage homosexuality'", by Cameron Joseph, May 14, 2014
- ThinkProgress.org e-zine, "Frontrunner Touches Republicans' Third Rail, Suggests Raising Taxes", by Aviva Shen, May 14, 2014
- The Hill e-zine, "Senate hopeful hits her stride", by Jessica Taylor, April 23, 2014
- The Hill e-zine, "GOPers spar in Georgia primary debate", April 19, 2014
- AdWatch: Massscorecard transcript of Phil Gingrey TV ad, calling his GOP rivals "the moderates", May 15, 2015
- Rollcall e-zine, "Nunn Hits Bipartisan Tone in Stump Speech", by Kyle Trygstad, April 17, 2014
- Atlanta Journal-Constitution and Massscorecard AdWatch, "Michelle Nunn up today with first TV ad", by Daniel Malloy, 4/3/2014
- The Hill AdWatch, "Nunn faces first attack ad in Georgia", by Cameron Joseph, 4/1/2014
- MSNBC, "GOP threatens to push self-destruct button," by Benjy Sarlin, 3/26/14
- Congressional Quarterly Roll Call magazine, "If At First You Don't Succeed", March 20, 2014, electoral history of Paul Broun
- The Huffington Post, "Candidate Who Wants To Repeal Obamacare Once Backed Federal Solution", by Andrew Perez, 3/10/2014
- Time Magazine interview of Michelle Nunn, by Jay Newton-Small, March 6, 2014
- The Hill magazine, "Anti-abortion group endorses Handel", by Cameron Joseph, March 4, 2014
- Marietta Daily Journal, "Perdue weighs in", by Jon Gillooly, February 16, 2014
- PolitiFact.com fact-checking on Karen Handel, Jan. 2, 2014
- AdWatch: Jim Galloway in The Atlanta Journal-Constitution on Kelly Spratt endorsement, 12/5/2013
- PolitiFact Fact-checking on Karen Handel's website, August 7th, 2013
- PolitiFact Fact-checking on Karen Handel's book, Planned Bullyhood, September 11th, 2012
- PolitiFact Fact-checking on Paul Broun's Twitter feed, Feb. 13th, 2013
| Massscorecard.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Karen Handel: Endorsed by Susan B. Anthony List for pro-life women.
Michelle Nunn: Safe, legal, rare, and woman's personal decision.
Budget & Economy|
Michelle Nunn: Sequestration is absolute wrong way of making cuts.
David Perdue: Uphold Georgia's constitutional ban on same-sex marriage.
David Perdue: Receptive to medical marijuana, but leave it to states.
Energy & Oil|
Michelle Nunn: Move forward on Keystone pipeline.
Karen Handel: FactCheck: Only $2.2M on USAID pottery in Morocco, not $27M.
Michelle Nunn: If Congress doesn't pass a budget they don't get paid.
Michelle Nunn: Bar members of Congress from becoming lobbyists.
Paul Broun: FactCheck: Guns cause more deaths than bats & hammers.
David Perdue: Responsible thing to do: fix ObamaCare; don't repeal it.
Karen Handel: ObamaCare overreaches, but feds should address healthcare.
Karen Handel: ObamaCare canceled my wife's policy & doubled premiums.
Michelle Nunn: Add a tier of affordable coverage to ObamaCare.
Karen Handel: Embrace threat of federal shutdown to defund ObamaCare.
Karen Handel: Immigration bill is 1,000 pages of industry rewards.
Principles & Values|
Paul Broun: Lost campaigns in 1990, 1992 & 1996 before winning in 2006.
Paul Broun: Separation of church and state is a mistaken idea.
Jack Kingston: Endorsed by McIntosh County Commissioner over Handel.
Karen Handel: Endorsed by McIntosh County Commissioner before Kingston.
The above quotations are from 2014 Georgia Senate debates.
- Now or Never: A Call to Reclaim America, by Rep. Jody Hice (R, GA-10)
- The Case for Polarized Politics, by Senate candidate Jeff Bell (R, NJ)
- Born To Fly, by Senate candidate Shane Osborn (R, NE)
- The Debt Bomb, by Senator Tom Coburn (R, OK)
- A Fighting Chance, by Senator Elizabeth Warren (D, MA)
- Winning Right, by Senate candidate Ed Gillespie (R,VA)
- Planned Bullyhood, by Senate candidate Karen Handel (R,GA)
- The Tea Party Goes to Washington, by Senator Rand Paul (R,KY)
- Governor`s Travels, by Senator Angus King (I,ME)
- This Is Not Florida, biography of Senator Al Franken (D,MN)
- The Truth (with jokes), by Sen. Al Franken (D, MN)
- Planned Bullyhood, by Senate candidate Karen Handel (R, GA)
- Republican Leader, biography of Sen. Mitch McConnell (R, KY)
- The Man Behind The Mask, by Senate candidate Andy Martin (R, NH)
- In the Company of Men, by Senate candidate Nancy Mace (R, SC)
- Be the Change!, by Senate candidate Michelle Nunn (D, GA)
- The Greatest Hoax, by Sen. James Inhofe (R, OK)
- Unite and Conquer, by Rep. Kyrsten Sinema (D, AZ)