2012 Vice Presidential Debate
Rep. Paul Ryan (R) vs. V.P. Joe Biden (D)
Oct. 11, 2012
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from 2012 V.P. Debate (number of quotes indicated):
- Joe Biden (21)
- Paul Ryan (21)
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
Vice Presidential debate, Oct. 11, 2012:
- Held in Danville, Kentucky, at Centre College
- Moderated by Martha Raddatz of ABC News
- Sponsored by the Commission on Presidential Debates (a private bipartisan group which excludes third party candidates from debates)
- Biden sure smiles a lot. And laughs a lot. And interrupts a lot.
- And Ryan sure succeeded at looking vice-presidential by NOT smiling too much and NOT laughing too much and NOT interrupting too much.
- Biden did fine on the issues -- he responded well to all of Ryan's points, and embarrassed Ryan by forcing him to admit that there was no Romney-Ryan plan to balance the budget (Romney & Ryan say they will cut spending without raising taxes, by closing loopholes, but Obama & Biden say there are not enough loopholes to do that, and choosing any loopholes is politically challenging. Ryan's response was to claim, as Romney did, that a Reagan-Tip-O'Neill-like discussion will take place to determine which loophooles to close).
- Perhaps if one reads the transcript one would accept Biden's argument. But watching the vice president of the United States show off his dental whitening and chuckle repeatedly at a subordinate politician turned off most viewers to listening to Biden's content at all.
- The mainstream media calls this one a "draw." We call a "draw" against an incumbent vice president a victory for his challenger.
| Massscorecard.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Joe Biden: I accept church rule personally, but not in public life.
Joe Biden: No church needs to provide contraception under ObamaCare.
Joe Biden: Romney will appoint pro-life Justice; Obama will not.
Paul Ryan: Private & public life inseparable on faith & life issues.
Paul Ryan: Judges shouldn't decide abortion; Congress should.
Budget & Economy|
Joe Biden: $90B stimulus program had only 0.4% waste.
Joe Biden: We inherited a god-awful mess; just level the playing field.
Paul Ryan: A debt crisis is coming; we need leadership.
Paul Ryan: Real reforms for a real recovery for every American.
Joe Biden: Same rules for Wall Street as for Main Street.
Paul Ryan: Raising corporate tax will cost us 710,000 jobs.
Paul Ryan: Deficit from "green pork": cronyism on windmills.
Paul Ryan: Apologize for bad acts, but don't apologize for our values.
Paul Ryan: Equivocating makes our enemies more likely to attack us.
Joe Biden: Those near doughnut hole you get $600 more for Rx benefits.
Joe Biden: Medicare gives seniors choice, even if Rx prices negotiated.
Paul Ryan: Honor our Medicare promise by reforming system for young.
Paul Ryan: Nobody is proposing vouchers; it's a check in the mailbox.
Joe Biden: We should not cut embassy security funding.
Joe Biden: National debt comes from putting two wars on a credit card.
Joe Biden: Special Forces instead of M1 tanks.
Joe Biden: Caring for veterans is our only sacred obligation.
Paul Ryan: We shouldn't cut 80,000 soldiers; it invites weakness.
Joe Biden: We can & will get unemployment under 6%.
Paul Ryan: This is not what a real recovery looks like.
Joe Biden: Where would elderly be now if funds were in stock market?
Paul Ryan: Voluntary privatization for younger workers.
Paul Ryan: FactCheck: JFK cut rates by 20%, but from twice today's rate.
Joe Biden: Millionaires pay more; middle class pays less.
Joe Biden: Not mathematically possible to cut $5T in loopholes.
Paul Ryan: Tax cuts grow the economy and create jobs.
Paul Ryan: 20% across-the-board tax cut via bipartisan negotiation.
War & Peace|
Joe Biden: Out of Iraq as promised; out of Afghanistan soon.
Joe Biden: Iran Sanctions are most crippling in history.
Joe Biden: Iran is not close to nuclear weapons; stop the bluster.
Joe Biden: Out of Afghanistan in 2014, period.
Joe Biden: Syria not like Libya; intervention would ignite the region.
Paul Ryan: Why didn't we prepare for embassy attack in Libya?
Paul Ryan: US needs credibility to have an effect on Iranian nukes.
Paul Ryan: Nuclear Iran is worse than war.
Paul Ryan: Make Afghan withdrawal succeed by providing resources.
Paul Ryan: No boots on the ground in Syria, but stop acting thru UN.
The above quotations are from 2012 Vice Presidential Debate
Rep. Paul Ryan (R) vs. V.P. Joe Biden (D)
Oct. 11, 2012.
2012 Presidential General Election:
- Third and final Obama-Romney debate, Oct. 22, 2012
- Second Obama-Romney debate, Oct. 16, 2012
- Biden-Ryan V.P. debate, Oct. 11, 2012
- First Obama-Romney debate, Oct. 3, 2012
- Obama-Romney Univision Interviews, Sept. 19, 2012
- Obama-Romney Science Debate, Sept. 4, 2012
- 2012 Presidential General Election Archives
- 2011 Presidential Primary Archives
- GOP Primary Debates, 2011-2012
- Presidential website excerpts